Ultra-high performance tires are designed for responsive handling and maximum grip. Consumer Reports' Ryan Pszczolkowski put over 40 of them through their paces at the test track in both dry and wet conditions to find the best. Ryan Pszczolkowski "When I get in the corner, how well does the tire hold on? When I accelerate out of the corner how well does the tire give me traction? Does it just spin? How stable, how well does the tire brake?" Testing included both all-season tires and summer tires, which are meant for temperatures well above freezing. In addition to performance … … testers evaluated tread-wear. "Unfortunately ultra-high performance tires don't wear well. The all-season models which we tested only had a maximum warranty of 60-thousand miles. The summer models rarely have a warranty at all." The Michelin Pilot Super Sport had the longest tread life of any of the summer tires tested. They go for 203 dollars and aced the tests. And for all-season tires, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 for 175 dollars earned top ratings. They also have a relatively long tread life and impressive grip.
Consumer Reports says when buying new tires, it's best to stick with the same size and speed rating as your car's original tires.
That gives you the optimum ride and handling.
Consumer Reports is published by Consumers Union. Both Consumer Reports and Consumers Union are not-for-profit organizations that accept no advertising. Neither has any commercial relationship with any advertiser or sponsor on this site.
All Consumer Reports Material Copyright ©2014 Consumers Union of U.S. Inc. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
- News 8 Investigates - Watching the Watchers
- Looking ahead: Spring road construction
- Winter thaw reveals needles in streets
- Driver identified in bizarre car crash Sunday
- Man puts meth in tip jar and cash
- Warm weather creates dangerous ice conditions
- News 8 Sports Round Up - February 20, 2017
- Oktoberfest officials move Festmaster's Ball to August
- Wisconsin Primaries includes one La Crosse district, State Superintendent
- Woman found guilty of killing bicyclist while texting