Ultra-high performance tires are designed for responsive handling and maximum grip. Consumer Reports' Ryan Pszczolkowski put over 40 of them through their paces at the test track in both dry and wet conditions to find the best. Ryan Pszczolkowski "When I get in the corner, how well does the tire hold on? When I accelerate out of the corner how well does the tire give me traction? Does it just spin? How stable, how well does the tire brake?" Testing included both all-season tires and summer tires, which are meant for temperatures well above freezing. In addition to performance … … testers evaluated tread-wear. "Unfortunately ultra-high performance tires don't wear well. The all-season models which we tested only had a maximum warranty of 60-thousand miles. The summer models rarely have a warranty at all." The Michelin Pilot Super Sport had the longest tread life of any of the summer tires tested. They go for 203 dollars and aced the tests. And for all-season tires, the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 for 175 dollars earned top ratings. They also have a relatively long tread life and impressive grip.
Consumer Reports says when buying new tires, it's best to stick with the same size and speed rating as your car's original tires.
That gives you the optimum ride and handling.
Consumer Reports is published by Consumers Union. Both Consumer Reports and Consumers Union are not-for-profit organizations that accept no advertising. Neither has any commercial relationship with any advertiser or sponsor on this site.
All Consumer Reports Material Copyright ©2014 Consumers Union of U.S. Inc. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
- La Crosse Police urge boaters to be safe over weekend
- De Soto student in custody for school threat
- Man convicted of killing Wisconsin woman buried in basement
- Jury convicts man in St. Paul workplace shooting of ex-wife
- Troopers focus on Interstate 90 in South Dakota, Minnesota
- Woman jumps on hood of car to stop thief
- Judge dismisses lawsuit from teacher body-slammed by student
- Dubuque high school teacher charged in marijuana case
- 18-year-old suspect in custody in Appleton bank robbery
- Minneapolis man arrested in Columbia Heights bank robbery