healthier pastas like whole wheat aren't always so appetizing. Consumer Reports just taste-tested to find ones worth serving.
In Italian restaurants, pasta is king. Antonio Abbate's restaurant makes a lot from scratch. Antonio Abbate "We grow up with pasta. It means everything to us." Though not as popular, whole-grain pasta is healthier because it contains more fiber than regular pasta. "Fiber can provide many health benefits, like reducing your risk for heart disease and diabetes." Consumer Reports tested a variety of whole-grain spaghettis. All contain at least five grams of fiber per serving. Regular pasta only contains about two. Trained taste testers evaluated the pastas. Some had a cardboard flavor. Hodgson Mill Whole Wheat Whole Grain spaghetti was the worst. Amy Keating "It was crumbly, pasty, and very bitter." But two whole-wheat spaghettis rated very good. They are 365 Everyday Value Organic from Whole Foods and Trader Joe's Organic. Amy Keating "Both had sweet, nutty whole-grain flavors." If you prefer the taste of regular pasta, Consumer Reports also tested five with added ingredients like protein, calcium, and Vitamin D, as well as more fiber. One of the best - Ronzoni Smart Taste Thin Spaghetti. So enjoying great-tasting pasta and good health can go hand in hand, or in this case, hand in fork. Would you like a great-tasting sauce to go with that pasta?
Consumer Reports top-rated Giada de Laurentiis' sauce from Target.
I'm Martha Koloski and that's today's On Your Side.
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- Low unemployment creates 'employee market'
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- Injured Packers Nelson, Adams could be game-time decisions
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death