Air-popped popcorn is one of the healthiest snacks around, full of fiber and low in calories. "But the minute you soup it up, with sugar, with salt, with cheese, that's when you run into a problem and you take a healthy snack and you render it unhealthy."
Peanut butter is good-for-you food. It's mostly peanuts and it's loaded with protein. But Jif has come out with Hazelnut Chocolate to spread on your bread. Check the label. The leading ingredients are sugar and vegetable oil and it provides far less protein than peanut butter.
White turkey and chicken meat are some of the best sources of low-fat protein. But if you buy it packaged, like this Oscar Mayer Oven Roasted Turkey Breast, watch for added sodium. Just two ounces has 510 milligrams - 21 percent of the daily limit. Lowfat yogurt is another healthful food. But look out if it's topped with chocolate balls or cookie crumbles.
This yogurt has 26 grams of sugar and 6 grams of fat. And beware of packaged smoothies, even if they make lots of healthy claims. Tod Marks "This is what it's called. But this is what it is. When you read the nutrition facts label you find out it actually is about 500 calories per bottle, and 34 grams of sugar!"
You're better off making your own smoothies, or topping your yogurt with fresh fruit. You can control the sugar and keep those foods that are good for you … good for you! Consumer Reports says something else to be wary of at the supermarket - veggie chips.
They are often made of potato flour and can have as much fat and sodium as potato chips.
Consumer Reports is published by Consumers Union. Both Consumer Reports and Consumers Union are not-for-profit organizations that accept no advertising. Neither has any commercial relationship with any advertiser or sponsor on this site.
All Consumer Reports Material Copyright ©2014 Consumers Union of U.S. Inc. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
- La Crosse Police urge boaters to be safe over weekend
- De Soto student in custody for school threat
- Rail tank car helps first responders prepare in case of derailment
- Locomotive engine oil spill in Jackson county
- The Latest: Teens in Wisconsin plane crash identified
- The Latest: Teen plane crash survivor in serious condition
- Wisconsin seeks to be first to drug test Medicaid applicants
- Wisconsin woman jumps on hood of her SUV to prevent theft
- Minneapolis plastic bag ban could be blocked
- Task force catches more criminals exploiting children online