Buying a car with a reliable track record can keep you out of the repair shop.
Consumer Reports' latest auto-reliability results are just out, and here's what you need to know before you buy a car.
That's today's On Your side.
When you're at a dealership - looking at shiny new cars, you might be considering gas mileage, or even how many cup holders there are. But there's something else you should consider before you buy - how reliable will the car be? Consumer Reports National Research Center's annual predicted reliability ratings can steer you to a good choice. The big news this year? Ford, which did well last year, dropped 10 places in Consumer Reports' rankings! The recently redesigned Ford Fiesta ... Focus ... and Explorer all rated below average in the survey.
"This shows why we advise against buying a new or newly redesigned model. Often all the kinks aren't worked out yet." ) The MyFord Touch infotainment system also showed up as a problem. Most GM brands were also down a bit, while Chrysler was up. The most reliable American brand? Jeep, at number 13 on the list. Rik Paul, "Hybrids also did very well, accounting for about 20 percent of the models with the highest reliability ratings, even though they make up only a small fraction of the market." In fact, two hybrids topped the list as the most reliable vehicles - the Lexus CT 200h and the Honda CRZ. Also of note, the Chevy Volt earned an excellent rating, - a step toward dispelling fears the new electronic technology will pose problems. So spend less time in the repair shop by making good use of Consumer Reports' reliability ratings. Once again the Japanese carmakers proved their mettle, snagging nine of the top ten spots as most reliable carmakers in Consumer Reports' survey.
I'm Martha Koloski with today's On Your Side.
- Holmen man sentenced to life for murder of girlfriend
- Holmen man in custody after armed robbery and 5-hour standoff
- Herberger's to move into former Macy's location at Valley View Mall
- Police: Student critically hurt in Kenosha school stabbing
- Bill banning abortion coverage for state workers up for vote
- Education accountability bill up for committee vote
- Bill would let victims, witnesses block body camera releases
- Man accused of trying to kill girlfriend faces sentencing
- Urban Beekeeping
- New breast cancer detection soon offered at Mayo Clinic in La Crosse