Looking for a new dishwasher? You might feel "overloaded" with all of the choices. Consumer Reports says job one of any dishwasher - clean dishes and its tests are tough!
Testers spend a day dirtying dishes, glasses, and silverware - smearing on peanut butter, sauce, egg yolks, spinach, and more. Then the dishes are left in the dishwasher overnight - letting all that food get caked-on - just like you might do. "A dishwasher that does well in our tests - whether very good or excellent - should be able to handle anything you throw at it."
Some dishwashers leave behind small bits of food, but many dishwashers produce nice clean dishes. After cleaning performance there is more to consider, like run time.
Emilio Gonzalez "The normal cycle for most dishwashers these days is between two and three hours." This 800-dollar Blomberg cuts cycle time almost in half with an 85-minute normal cycle. It is a bit noisy … But even with its shorter cycle, the dishes come out super-clean. In the end, top-ratings went to this 13-hundred-dollar Kenmore Elite from Sears, which solves another problem. With most dishwashers' spray arms, if something like stray fork gets in its path, it gets stuck and the water can't reach everywhere. This Kenmore Elite has a motorized spray arm, so when it hits the fork … it reverses direction. The Kenmore Elite is also available without the motorized spray arm for 100 dollars less.
Consumer Reports is published by Consumers Union. Both Consumer Reports and Consumers Union are not-for-profit organizations that accept no advertising. Neither has any commercial relationship with any advertiser or sponsor on this site.
All Consumer Reports Material Copyright ©2014 Consumers Union of U.S. Inc. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
- Historic building project complete; now includes affordable housing
- 'Candy Man' agrees to surrender medical license
- Wisconsin DPI considers easing license requirements to ease teacher shortage
- Annual Iverson Freking Awards handed out at luncheon
- Assembly speaker says his job is harder than governor's
- Buzz's Bikes building still looking for new owners
- Representative Kind outlines goals for congressional session
- Debate over medical marijuana continues in Wisconsin
- Winter Rec-Fest Medallion Hunt Clues 2017
- Peaches and cheese: Governors place bet on Falcons-Packers