And if you don't have time to bake them yourself, there's no shortage of ready-made chocolate-chip cookies. So which are the best? Consumer Reports chipped away at your choices.
When the McDermotts bake chocolate-chip cookies, it's a real family affair. Maya, "Shane, it's your turn." But as delicious as they are fresh out of the oven, sometimes we have to settle for straight out of the box! Which are best? Trained tasters at Consumer Reports tackled the crumby job -tasting 18 different chocolate-chip cookies. Many packaged ones rated just O-K.
They were dry and gritty - including top-seller Chips Ahoy. Skip the Weight Watchers as well. They had the fewest calories and some fiber but were the lowest rated. Erin Gudeux Consumer Reports "The tasters were left with a chalky-mouth feeling and the chips were gritty. And each cookie still packed in 90 calories." Instead, Consumer Reports says splurge on the top-rated chocolate-chip cookie from Tate's Bake Shop. They were the only one to rate excellent, with big butter and chocolate flavors. Erin Gudeux "Probably not surprisingly, the Tate's were also the highest in fat and calories." For about half the cost, 37-cents a serving, Pepperidge Farm Double Chocolate Nantucket Dark chocolate cookies were the next best. They're big in chocolate flavor.
And they might just fill the bill if you can't bake up a batch of your own chocolate-chip cookies at home. Maya "They taste really, really good." Kids eating cookies Aren't these kids smart cookies?! Tate's chocolate-chip cookies are sold in specialty supermarkets, such as Whole Foods.
I'm Martha Koloski with today's On Your Side."
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Study: Wisconsin will face water infrastructure problem
- Muslim teen wins right to box competitively in hijab
- Free smoke alarm campaign aims to reduce fire deaths, injuries
- Minnesota farmers begin planting under optimal weather
- Arcadia embraces Hispanic population amid immigration talks
- WSU defense takes 2017 spring game
- News 8 Sports Round Up- April 22, 2017