Just because space is tight in your apartment or house doesn't mean you have to lug your laundry to a laundromat to get it washed. Consumer Reports just tested about a dozen compact washers and dryers. They are just like regular ones only smaller about 24 inches wide, 34 inches high and the sets can be stacked. Unfortunately, the price tags aren't smaller. But can they perform as well?
Consumer Reports ran cleaning and efficiency tests on all the compact machines and also measure noise and vibration levels. A loud washer or dryer may be a deal breaker for some. Turns out, vibration was an issue for many of the compacts. When the washer and dryer pairs we stacked, vibration didn't change much and in fact it's one of their drawbacks. But having a washer and dryer in your home may be better than going to a laundromat.
With dryers there are two choices —vented or ventless. Ventless dryers condense the moisture out of the humid exhaust air instead of venting it outside. This comes in handy if you live in an apartment or condo where you may not have access to an outside wall. Consumer Reports says the $2,700 Bosch 800 series set with a ventless dryer is a very good choice. (The Bosch 800 Series: Washer Model #WAT28402UC and Dryer Model # WTG86402UC)
If you have access to a vent you can opt for a Samsung compact washer and dryer set for about $2,100 (The Samsung compact set: Washer Model # WW2K6800AW and Dryer Model # DV22K6800EW) Both the Bosch and this Samsung offer very good washing and drying performance.
Complete Ratings and recommendations on all kinds of products, including appliances, cars & trucks, and electronic gear, are available on Consumer Reports' website. Subscribe to ConsumerReports.org.
All Consumer Reports Material Copyright ©2016 Consumers Union of U.S. Inc. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED
Consumer Reports is published by Consumers Union. Both Consumer Reports and Consumers Union are not-for-profit organizations that accept no advertising. Neither has any commercial relationship with any advertiser or sponsor on this site.
- Deputy: 1 ejected, several injured in school bus vs. dump truck crash
- Wisconsin's youth prison hit with another lawsuit
- The Latest: Lawmakers work through the night on state budget
- Man pleads not guilty in deadly Iowa jail escape
- Man accused of killing parents, sister, pleads not guilty
- Senators want hearing aids available over the counter
- Iowa man found mentally fit to stand trial in double murder
- Iowa court offices to be closed Friday due to budget cuts
- "Share the Love" donation to Family & Children's Center
- Bennett getting acclimated quickly to Packers