It seems like just about everyone is on a smart phone these days. And we're
paying big bucks for all that connectivity.
"The average American household spent more than 15-hundred dollars this
year on phones and services, and the biggest spenders easily spent twice that
Consumer Reports says a prepaid phone plan can be a smart way to save.
"Two-thirds of our subscribers who switched to prepaid service knocked 20
dollars or more off their monthly costs."
Prepaid services are offered from companies like TracFone, Straight Talk,
and MetroPCS. Big cell-phone providers - Verizon, T-Mobile, and AT&T
- also offer prepaid plans.
"Prepaid plans are either pay-as-you-go or have a monthly allocation of
minutes. Some even have unlimited plans. You may pay more upfront for
the phones. But you can save in the long run."
The phones offered with prepaid plans used to be just the basics. But some
prepaid carriers now offer smart phones. The Galaxy S III is even available
from Metro PCS and the iPhone 5 from Cricket Wireless - another prepaid
But if you don't need the absolutely latest smart phone, Consumer Reports
recommends Straight Talk's prepaid plans, available through Walmart.
"It's interesting that people in our survey were actually happier with Straight
Talk than with contract service from any of the major carriers."
Straight Talk has several plans, including 45-dollars a month for unlimited
talk, text, and data. That's half the price of Verizon's cheapest unlimited
- Wisconsin man accused of posting nude photos of ex online
- Local program offers veterans extra healthcare
- Facing deadline, most Wisconsin dairy farms find new buyer
- Holmen man sentenced to life for murder of girlfriend
- GOP bill would discipline hecklers at UW speeches
- Wisconsin DOJ, feds, police set up Drug Take Back Day
- Wisconsin judge hears challenge to homemade bakery ban
- Sparta American Legion Family presents check to Freedom Honor Flight
- WIAA to offer concussion insurance for student athletes
- West Salem Middle School raises awareness for importance of physical activity