Mary Meza uses phone cards to call her family in the Dominican Republic. But she complains she doesn't always get as much calling time as she expects. Mary Meza "I get really angry because I think it's not fair." Consumer Reports analyzed more than 130 prepaid phone cards. Most cost just two to five dollars. They look like bargains. But Consumer Reports found lots of problems. Robert Tiernan Consumer Reports "Three quarters of the cards we looked at didn't tell you how much it cost to make a call. You usually never found out until you were on the phone."15283466
And Consumer Reports found the amount of calling time varies tremendously. For example, these cards both cost two dollars, but this one gave us 200 minutes to call Mexico City. This one, only five minutes. And there can be lots of fees, which may be listed on the back in tiny type. Those prepaid phone card fees can include a fee for connecting or disconnecting or calling on a cell phone or calling from a pay phone. There can even be a daily maintenance fee. "The fees can really eat into the value of the cards. These were completely drained before we ever made our international call." In some cases, Consumer Reports was able to get the fees reversed, but only after calling customer service. Bob Tiernan "If you frequently make calls overseas, there are better alternatives." You can use Skype on your computer or smart phone to call overseas for modest rates, which are clearly spelled out on Skype's website. George Delgado "Skype is phenomenal." And if, like George Delgado, you and the person you are calling both have Internet, the call can be free. ."
- Local program helps entrepreneurs succeed
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- Low unemployment creates 'employee market'
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death