BIG LAKE, Minn. (AP) - A 5-year-old boy has died when a tree fell on him as he was playing on a hammock in central Minnesota.
Sherburne County Sheriff Joel Brott says Edward Joseph Michalek was playing on the hammock with other children in Big Lake Township on Tuesday evening when a 7-foot-tall tree to which one end of the hammock was tied uprooted, fell and hit the boy on the head. He died at the scene.
The Star Tribune reports the sheriff calls it "a freak accident."
Friends have set up a GoFundMe page to help the family with the child's funeral expenses.
- Human remains found in Juneau County
- La Crosse County felony cases hit 20-year high
- 2017 Wisconsin gun deer hunt's complete guide
- Hunters prepare for gun-deer season
- More deer, younger hunters expected for Wisconsin gun season
- Representative Kind introduced bill to manage CWD
- Hunters in Trempealeau County to watch for ear tagged deer
- Champs again: Bangor Football
- Milwaukee unveils blueprint to prevent violence in the city
- Minnesota doctors face opioid prescribing limits