ONALASKA, WI - The YMCA is brightening people's day with a splash of color.
More than 1,000 people came to the Onalaska Great river state park trail for the first Color Dash 5k run or walk.
This isn't your normal 5-k though. For every kilometer a person walks or runs, they are greeted with a cloud of color.
The world's brightest 5k sponsored by the La Crosse Radio Group helps support the YMCA's Strong Kids campaign.22655018
Organizers say the run is different than other events like it because of what it can do for the community.
"In this community, we have a lot of events like this, but it's really important for the Y not only as a fundraiser but also just to promote community health and well-being to give everyone of all ages something healthy to do," said event organizer Amy Holte.
Organizers have raised nearly $12,500, which is $4,000 more than their original goal.
- Holmen man in custody after armed robbery and 5-hour standoff
- Herberger's to move into former Macy's location at Valley View Mall
- Police: Student critically hurt in Kenosha school stabbing
- Bill banning abortion coverage for state workers up for vote
- Education accountability bill up for committee vote
- Bill would let victims, witnesses block body camera releases
- Man accused of trying to kill girlfriend faces sentencing
- Alcohol use among Wisconsin senior citizens on the rise
- Dayton names new Minnesota State Lottery director
- Walker hopes Trump's tough talk catches Canada's attention