ONALASKA, WI - The YMCA is brightening people's day with a splash of color.
More than 1,000 people came to the Onalaska Great river state park trail for the first Color Dash 5k run or walk.
This isn't your normal 5-k though. For every kilometer a person walks or runs, they are greeted with a cloud of color.
The world's brightest 5k sponsored by the La Crosse Radio Group helps support the YMCA's Strong Kids campaign.22655018
Organizers say the run is different than other events like it because of what it can do for the community.
"In this community, we have a lot of events like this, but it's really important for the Y not only as a fundraiser but also just to promote community health and well-being to give everyone of all ages something healthy to do," said event organizer Amy Holte.
Organizers have raised nearly $12,500, which is $4,000 more than their original goal.
- Local program helps entrepreneurs succeed
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- Low unemployment creates 'employee market'
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death