LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Upcoming storms aren't expected to be strong enough to take down power lines, but if they do, Xcel Energy says you should stay away from them.
Even if the lines are not sparking, Xcel says they could still be live.
Last week, a 30-year old Rhinelander man was taken to the hospital in serious condition after getting too close to a downed line.
Xcel says the line doesn't even have to be down to be dangerous, and it's always better to be safe than sorry.
"If you suspect a line is hanging lower, hanging on a tree, or on a house that wasn't before, just give us a call and we'll come and check that out," said Mike Herro of Xcel Energy.
You can call Xcel at 1-800-895-4999.
- Local family shares story of premature birth
- Area climate activists voice their opinions over Trump's policies
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- News 8 Sports Round Up- April 29, 2017
- La Crosse marshland gets a cleanup
- La Crosse Neighbors Day moves ahead with new leadership
- ATF lets some Minnesota gun buyers skip background checks