LA CROSSE, WI (WKBT) - A holiday concert at Winona State University is helping feed people in need.
It's the 13th annual Holiday Concert for the Hungry. The WSU Chamber Orchestra and Symphonic Wind Ensemble performed a number of pieces. Admission to the event is a food or cash donation.
The idea for the concert came from the Wind Ensemble Director who was raised at the Salvation Army, and knows the importance of helping others. "Each place I've been, every place I've taught I've started this kind of a program," says Dr. Donald Lovejoy, "because it actually is meaningful to my students, it gives them an opportunity to connect with the community and be of service to someone."
They collected 500 pounds of food and more than $1,600 Sunday. All proceeds will go to support Winona Volunteer Services as part of Merchants Bank's "10 Days of Giving."
- UPDATE: Suspects in Tomah high speed chase arrested
- Packers WR Nelson unlikely to play vs. Falcons
- Tuesday closings due to weather
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Democrats propose legalizing medical marijuana
- Baldwin, Kind both attending inauguration while Pocan skips
- New faces breathe new life into debate on Sunday booze ban
- Changes coming to prescription drug monitoring website Tuesday
- Evers has $117,000 in bank for superintendent run
- Court upholds order for fingerprint to unlock cellphone