LA CROSSE, WI (WKBT) - A holiday concert at Winona State University is helping feed people in need.
It's the 13th annual Holiday Concert for the Hungry. The WSU Chamber Orchestra and Symphonic Wind Ensemble performed a number of pieces. Admission to the event is a food or cash donation.
The idea for the concert came from the Wind Ensemble Director who was raised at the Salvation Army, and knows the importance of helping others. "Each place I've been, every place I've taught I've started this kind of a program," says Dr. Donald Lovejoy, "because it actually is meaningful to my students, it gives them an opportunity to connect with the community and be of service to someone."
They collected 500 pounds of food and more than $1,600 Sunday. All proceeds will go to support Winona Volunteer Services as part of Merchants Bank's "10 Days of Giving."
- Taking one for the city: La Crosse boy cleans up skate park
- Local family shares story of premature birth
- Area climate activists voice their opinions over Trump's policies
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- Onalaska High School students plan 5K for good cause
- Ninth annual Earth Fair attracts local families
- Coulee Council on Addictions announces plans for new building