MONDOVI, Wis. (AP) - More than 60 years after a distinguished career in World War II, a Mondovi veteran has received the Distinguished Flying Cross and seven other medals.
Eighty-nine-year-old Doug Ward says he's grateful to be recognized. He says he was especially touched that many of his fellow veterans were on hand to watch U.S. Rep. Ron Kind present him with the medals Sunday.
The western Wisconsin native spent three years in the U.S. Air Force during World War II. He few missions over North Africa, Italy and Germany.
After all these years, it wasn't clear whether Ward had misplaced his medals or simply never received them. Either way, Kind says it's important to make sure Ward had the recognition and awards he deserved.
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Area climate activists voice their opinions over Trump's policies
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- La Crosse marshland gets a cleanup
- La Crosse Neighbors Day moves ahead with new leadership
- ATF lets some Minnesota gun buyers skip background checks
- Farms' thirst for water roils Wisconsin's central sands
- Minnesota city to unleash goats on invasive plants