LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - A group of community leaders, organizations, and individuals are speaking out in support for same sex marriage in Wisconsin.
The Wisconsin Unites for Marriage coalition launched today. They held press conferences across the state including here in La Crosse.
It comes about two months after the state's ban on gay marriage was struck down.
The speakers included an openly gay college student, a woman in a same sex relationship for the past 32 years, and Pastor Mark Jolivette of Our Savior's Lutheran Church.
"Every person in every family is deserving of the same dignity and respect. I'm speaking out today in the hope that all people of Wisconsin understand justice to mean that all families receive the respect of equal legal protections," said Jolivette.
A federal appeals court is set to hear arguments on the case in about three weeks.
- 4 killed, 5 injured in minivan-pickup crash in NW Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Democrats view Republican Gov. Walker as beatable
- Man being deported after transit officer asked about status
- Thousands traveling on Memorial Day weekend
- Community shares Memorial Day plans, traditions
- News 8 Sports Round Up- May 27, 2017
- Local Radio Shack closing permanently
- 3 Rivers Nutrition hosts beach fitness camp
- Wet weather delays crop planting
- Wisconsin 2016 job gain smallest in 6 years