LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - A group of community leaders, organizations, and individuals are speaking out in support for same sex marriage in Wisconsin.
The Wisconsin Unites for Marriage coalition launched today. They held press conferences across the state including here in La Crosse.
It comes about two months after the state's ban on gay marriage was struck down.
The speakers included an openly gay college student, a woman in a same sex relationship for the past 32 years, and Pastor Mark Jolivette of Our Savior's Lutheran Church.
"Every person in every family is deserving of the same dignity and respect. I'm speaking out today in the hope that all people of Wisconsin understand justice to mean that all families receive the respect of equal legal protections," said Jolivette.
A federal appeals court is set to hear arguments on the case in about three weeks.
- News 8 Investigates - Watching the Watchers
- Winter thaw reveals needles in streets
- Driver identified in bizarre car crash Sunday
- Man puts meth in tip jar and cash
- Warm weather creates dangerous ice conditions
- Wisconsin Primaries includes one La Crosse district, State Superintendent
- Woman found guilty of killing bicyclist while texting
- Candle caused fatal Madison condo fire; victim identified
- Walker asks public for help selling his budget
- 90 cans of baby formula stolen from Walmart