EAU CLAIRE, Wis. (AP) - One Wisconsin teen will have a dream date for his junior prom.
Eighteen-year-old Charlie Gainey is taking Miss Minnesota USA Danielle Hooper to the Menomonie High School prom on Saturday.
The date was arranged by a mutual friend after Gainey was nominated for his school's prom court. He has Down syndrome, and Hooper has a 2-year-old cousin with Down syndrome. Hooper says going to the prom with Gainey is a wonderful opportunity to make people happy.
Gainey told the Leader-Telegram that it doesn't matter if he is elected prom king. He will have a good day because he is competing in a Special Olympics swim meet earlier Saturday and then will have dinner with Hooper and attend the prom.
Hooper competes in the Miss USA pageant in June.
- Historic building project complete; now includes affordable housing
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- 'Candy Man' agrees to surrender medical license
- Wisconsin DPI considers easing license requirements to ease teacher shortage
- Annual Iverson Freking Awards handed out at luncheon
- Assembly speaker says his job is harder than governor's
- Alternative transportation forum looks to the future
- Highway 53 steering committee considering options for corridor development
- Toyota donates nearly $15,000 to La Crosse YWCA
- Buzz's Bikes building still looking for new owners