MILWAUKEE (AP) -- Wisconsin Lt. Gov. Rebecca Kleefisch has survived a recall attempt, defeating Democratic challenger Mahlon Mitchell in a historic recall election.
RESULTS: Wisconsin Recall Election Results
The Republican Kleefisch was the first lieutenant governor in the nation's history to face a recall election. Now she's also the first to survive one.
Kleefisch faced a recall along with her boss, Republican Gov. Scott Walker. Democrats and unions had been angered after Walker and the GOP-led Legislature took on public-sector union rights last year.
Walker and Kleefisch both won their races Tuesday.
Since 1970, Wisconsin has elected its governor and lieutenant governor as a pair on a joint ticket. But because of how these recalls were conducted, the races for governor and lieutenant governor were listed separately.14648618
- Task force catches more criminals exploiting children online
- Belle Square development moves forward
- Crews begin renovations on La Crosse's Powell Park
- La Crosse officials look for input on proposed 'greenway'
- Wisconsin judge drops power line construction ban
- One week after storms, cleanup continues
- New La Crosse Fire Chief approved by Fire Commission
- ‘Go Red for Women' La Crosse luncheon highlights heart disease among women
- La Crosse city departments host ‘City Open House' for residents
- Deputy: 1 ejected, several injured in school bus vs. dump truck crash