MILWAUKEE (AP) -- Wisconsin Lt. Gov. Rebecca Kleefisch has survived a recall attempt, defeating Democratic challenger Mahlon Mitchell in a historic recall election.
RESULTS: Wisconsin Recall Election Results
The Republican Kleefisch was the first lieutenant governor in the nation's history to face a recall election. Now she's also the first to survive one.
Kleefisch faced a recall along with her boss, Republican Gov. Scott Walker. Democrats and unions had been angered after Walker and the GOP-led Legislature took on public-sector union rights last year.
Walker and Kleefisch both won their races Tuesday.
Since 1970, Wisconsin has elected its governor and lieutenant governor as a pair on a joint ticket. But because of how these recalls were conducted, the races for governor and lieutenant governor were listed separately.14648618
- Attorney general announces deal on drug overdose treatment
- Viterbo students spend one night homeless
- Warm weather a worry for apple growers
- Organic conference returns to La Crosse
- Downtown Minneapolis hospital announces layoffs
- WSU Baseball drafts 14-year-old for team
- City of La Crosse looks to crowdsource Buzz's Bikes fix
- Police: Twin Cities lawyer fatally struck runner in St. Paul
- Protesters cleared from Dakota Access oil pipeline camp
- Iowa man sentenced for lying to cold case investigators