ARLINGTON, Tex. (WKBT) - By now you know the La Crosse connection to the Badgers team in Aquinas grad Bronson Koenig. But you might not realize there's another Badger on the Wisconsin sidelines with close ties to western Wisconsin.
You don't have to look too deep into the Badger bench to find a La Crosse native, and you also don't have to look too far from the sidelines, either. "My roots are really in La Crosse," said Henry Perez Guerra, "that's basically where I went from junior high school, go Lincoln Cougars."
Guerra has been the Badger's trainer for more than a decade, but it's his first Final Four with the team this weekend. "It's an amazing experience here, we've just taken it all in," said Guerra.
For the first time in his 13 years on the medical staff of the men's basketball team, he wasn't the only member of the team who grew up in La Crosse. "It's great, Bronson's a great kid and I'm really happy to see he stepped up and he's contributing to this team," said Guerra.
He can't speak highly enough of the player he shares roots with, but there's still a little competition between these two La Crosse natives. "It's nice to have a hometown boy doing well even though he did go to Aquinas high school and not Central," said Guerra.
Guerra and Bronson are looking forward to their future on Wisconsin's court, but they're quick to remember where they got their start. "I'm happy that Bronson and I can represent La Crosse in a good fashion," he said.
Guerra told News 8 in all the years he's been with the team, these players were the most tight-knit group he's worked with.
- Spike in attempted suicides at La Crosse's Juvenile Detention Facility prompts changes
- Teen dies in Vernon County hunting accident
- Police and Fire Commission to vote on new Fire Chief Wednesday
- Walker defends property tax cut, issues veto threat
- Road for UWL ends at NCAA III Midwest Regional title game
- News 8 Sports Round Up - May 22, 2017
- Downtown businesses ask for changes to weekend street parking rules
- WisCorps launching new Inclusive Crew
- Lane closures coming to I-90 on Dresbach Bridge
- ‘Click It or Ticket' regional campaign begins in Minnesota