FOND DU LAC, Wis. (AP) - A Fond du Lac woman who pleaded no contest to trying to kill her 6-year-old daughter during her own suicide attempt has been sentenced to 14 years in prison.
The Reporter in Fond du Lac says 26-year-old Kenna M. Bowe burst into tears when the sentence was handed down Thursday.
Bowe had pleaded no contest in September to attempted first-degree intentional homicide.
Prosecutors say she gave her daughter 12 sleeping pills, and then took medication herself. The criminal complaint says she decided to kill her daughter because she didn't want to leave her behind, nor did she want the girl to think Bowe's suicide was her fault.
Defense attorney Mary Wolfe says Bowe had been persevering through mental-health issues but things unfortunately fell apart.
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- La Crosse celebrates Arbor Day with a tree planting
- News 8 Sports Round Up-April 28, 2017
- Community leaders observe Workers Memorial Day
- 2 kayakers die after boats capsizes in Lake Michigan
- Kenosha teen stabbed at school dies
- APNewsBreak: Syrian who sued Trump brings family to US