FOND DU LAC, Wis. (AP) - A Fond du Lac County teen convicted of shooting an arrow that pierced a 7-year-old girl in the back has been sentenced to three years of probation.
Seventeen-year-old Casey H. Bennett of Campbellsport pleaded no contest Monday to a felony count of injury by negligent use of a weapon and a misdemeanor count of resisting an officer.
Bennett told authorities he was shooting at squirrels in May when a stray arrow hit 7-year-old Aryanna Schneeberg in the back. Prosecutors say he initially denied shooting the arrow, and that he didn't come forward because he was scared.
Doctors said the girl was lucky to be alive after the arrow sliced through her spleen, stomach, diaphragm and lung before stopping at her liver.
A message left with Bennett's attorney wasn't immediately returned.
- Walker hopes federal government shutdown can be avoided
- Baldwin encourages Perdue to visit Wisconsin dairy farmers
- Bills to fight homelessness in Wisconsin up for vote
- Proposal would allow homemade baked goods sales in Wisconsin
- Wisconsin dairy farms face closure due to Canadian policies
- Walker says he has 'no interest' in higher vehicle fees
- Excessive use of technology among youth raising concerns
- CSAs connecting fresh produce to consumers
- La Crosse 12-year-old to clean up skate park with community help
- Thousands honored in La Crosse for volunteering