FOND DU LAC, Wis. (AP) - A Fond du Lac County teen convicted of shooting an arrow that pierced a 7-year-old girl in the back has been sentenced to three years of probation.
Seventeen-year-old Casey H. Bennett of Campbellsport pleaded no contest Monday to a felony count of injury by negligent use of a weapon and a misdemeanor count of resisting an officer.
Bennett told authorities he was shooting at squirrels in May when a stray arrow hit 7-year-old Aryanna Schneeberg in the back. Prosecutors say he initially denied shooting the arrow, and that he didn't come forward because he was scared.
Doctors said the girl was lucky to be alive after the arrow sliced through her spleen, stomach, diaphragm and lung before stopping at her liver.
A message left with Bennett's attorney wasn't immediately returned.
- Repealing Obamacare: Trump says fast, Congress says slow
- Monday closings due to weather
- Tomah police asking for help following morning high-speed chase
- US Rep. Pocan says he won't attend Trump inauguration
- Local activists hold "Save Our Healthcare" rally
- Local bar burglarized
- More than a dozen cell towers may go up in La Crosse
- Potential suicide spike in La Crosse County
- UPDATE: Suspect charged in Trempealeau County fatal crash
- Area youth group helps prepare for fundraiser