Friday, Nov. 25
Class AAAA: Winona (11-1) vs. Benilde-St. Margaret's, St. Louis Park (9-3) at 4 p.m.
Winona, which was ranked No. 6 in the final AP poll, returns for its second appearance. The Winhawks made their only other appearance in 1987. Unranked Benilde-St. Margaret's returns for its second consecutive appearance and third overall under this name. The Red Knights made one additional appearance as a co-op with Groves Academy of St. Louis Park in 2006. Benilde-St. Margaret's fell in the quarterfinals of the 2015 tournament.
The Winhawks of Winona run a stellar ground game and they accumulated 2,819 rushing yards this season. Junior Robert Warren scored 10 rushing touchdowns on 124 carries for 819 yards. Senior Alex Franzwa added eight touchdowns on 90 carries and accumulated 575 yards. Junior quarterback Riley Bosteter completed 85 of his 159 pass attempts for 14 touchdowns. Brody Hogenson, a senior, paced Winona's defense with 186 tackles and one fumble recovery. Senior Matt Monahan added 105 tackles for the Winhawks with one fumble recovery and three interceptions. Winona averages 30.6 points this season to its opponents' 12.8.
The Benilde-St. Margaret's Red Knights also prefer to keep the ball on the ground. They gained 2,132 rushing yards and another 1,081 yards on 74 completed passes.
- You participated in the Women's March. Now what?
- Local event helps connect military families
- Dayton's State of the State will set stage for 2017 session
- De Soto Area Lions Club promoting grant for flood victims
- La Crosse County proposing tourism tax
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- Trump to meet congressional leaders Monday at the White House
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump
- Ho-Chunk casino could draw $37 million from other casinos
- Man died after kayak capsized, Des Moines authorities say