WINONA, Minn. (WKBT) - The Winona Area Ambulance Service (WAAS) has created a Bike Team as an additional way to serve the community and respond faster during area events.
WAAS currently has two bikes. The Bike Team is made up of current WAAS paramedics and Emergency Medical Technicians (EMTs).
"The primary reason is to provide faster response to emergency situations at events," explained Kyle Rogers, a WAAS paramedic and the Bike Team coordinator. "If we're closer to where things are happening, we can begin providing care even before an ambulance can get through the crowd."
The Bike Team will be equipped with an Automated External Defibrillator (AED), select medical supplies and will have direct communication to the ambulance team and dispatch center.
The WAAS Bike Team is available for community events like run/walks, festivals and parades. There is no charge. If you would like to have WAAS Bike Team on hand during an upcoming event, contact WAAS Bike Team Coordinator Kyle Rogers at (507) 452-5351. You'll need to call at least two weeks before your event. Availability is contingent on other events.
- Hunger Task Force garners tons of food through Family Fest
- La Crosse Fire Department offering free smoke alarm installation
- Area prospective home buyers learning basics
- Sunday liquor sales heads for final Minnesota Senate vote
- Viterbo celebrates one year of 'Service Saturdays'
- New safety measures on the way to Norplex Drive after recent creek death
- Rep. Walz mulling Democratic bid for Minnesota governor
- Gundersen program helps mothers, parents with drug addictions
- Wisconsin attorney general appeals redistricting ruling
- Researchers may have found link between stress and weight gain