WEST SALEM, Wis. (WKBT) - October is Bullying Prevention Awareness Month, and people across our area were celebrating Wednesday by wearing orange.
"We are the world. We are the children."
Students at West Salem Elementary took part in Unity Day events. They sang and many wore orange to show their support. While the school advocates anti-bullying year round, teachers say Wednesday was special.
"Today is about compassion and kindness and friendship and what we do for each other to make each other strong and build each other up and be there for one another," said West Salem Elementary School Counselor Gayle Lassen.
The students were rehearsing 'We Are the World' today for a concert they will perform on November first.
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- Historic building project complete; now includes affordable housing
- 'Candy Man' agrees to surrender medical license
- Wisconsin DPI considers easing license requirements to ease teacher shortage
- 13-year-old charged with attempted murder in Fort Dodge
- Winter Rec-Fest Medallion Hunt Clues 2017
- Competency hearing sought for Iowan accused of voting twice
- Fiberglass fire causes neighborhood evacuation
- Republican lawmakers differ on state superintendent race