WATERLOO, Iowa (AP) - Preservationists in Waterloo are hoping to save the 84-year-old Wonder Bread bakery building that closed last month.
The Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier reports the Waterloo Historic Preservation Commission voted unanimously last week to support the preservation of the historic character and facade of the downtown building.
Commission member Ed Ottesen sought the resolution after a city official expressed interest in acquiring the building. Some have suggested turning it into a parking garage or demolishing the structure.
The building has been closed since Texas-based Hostess Brands Inc. moved ahead in November with plans to sell off its assets in bankruptcy court.
- Safe cams help police, local businesses solve crime
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Study: Wisconsin will face water infrastructure problem
- Muslim teen wins right to box competitively in hijab
- Free smoke alarm campaign aims to reduce fire deaths, injuries
- Gundersen Health System considered top hospital for enviormental excellence
- Minnesota farmers begin planting under optimal weather
- Arcadia embraces Hispanic population amid immigration talks