WATERLOO, Iowa (AP) - Preservationists in Waterloo are hoping to save the 84-year-old Wonder Bread bakery building that closed last month.
The Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier reports the Waterloo Historic Preservation Commission voted unanimously last week to support the preservation of the historic character and facade of the downtown building.
Commission member Ed Ottesen sought the resolution after a city official expressed interest in acquiring the building. Some have suggested turning it into a parking garage or demolishing the structure.
The building has been closed since Texas-based Hostess Brands Inc. moved ahead in November with plans to sell off its assets in bankruptcy court.
- UPDATE: Two additional suspects in Tomah high speed chase arrested
- Monday closings due to weather
- Repealing Obamacare: Trump says fast, Congress says slow
- Missing elderly man found dead in Grant County
- State leaders push for more progress at MLK Day celebration
- 1 dead, 4 others injured by apparent carbon monoxide
- Man killed after setting off apartment explosion
- US Rep. Pocan says he won't attend Trump inauguration
- Local activists hold "Save Our Healthcare" rally
- Area youth group helps prepare for fundraiser