LA CROSSE, WI (WKBT) - An area shelter keeping those in need out of the cold is asking for help.
The La Crosse Area Volunteer Organization is preparing for the arctic blast expected to sweep through the Coulee Region, and is in desperate need of volunteers. The warming shelter at Wesley United Methodist Church in La Crosse will be open through Thursday. Because of the new schedule, the shelter is asking for volunteers to work the late evening and over-night shifts.
With so many people in need of a warm place during the winter, organizers say the shelter is more than just a roof over their heads.
"As some of our guest have shared, they have said, ‘Thank you for saving my life...' because they don't have another place to go," said Rev. Ellen Rasmussen of Wesley United Church.
If you would like to drop off food of supplies, the shelter is located at 721 King St. in La Crosse.24130878
- Wisconsin plan seeks to cut achievement gap in half
- Local program offers veterans extra healthcare
- Area couple awaits man's heart, liver transplant
- WIAA to offer concussion insurance for student athletes
- Sparta American Legion Family presents check to Freedom Honor Flight
- La Crosse man accused of posting nude photos of ex online
- Luger plans to stay involved in counter-extremism efforts
- Another baby turned over under Iowa safe haven law
- I-94 eastbound near Eau Claire closed late Thursday due to crash
- Bond reduced in university student death case