LA CROSSE, WI (WKBT) - An area shelter keeping those in need out of the cold is asking for help.
The La Crosse Area Volunteer Organization is preparing for the arctic blast expected to sweep through the Coulee Region, and is in desperate need of volunteers. The warming shelter at Wesley United Methodist Church in La Crosse will be open through Thursday. Because of the new schedule, the shelter is asking for volunteers to work the late evening and over-night shifts.
With so many people in need of a warm place during the winter, organizers say the shelter is more than just a roof over their heads.
"As some of our guest have shared, they have said, ‘Thank you for saving my life...' because they don't have another place to go," said Rev. Ellen Rasmussen of Wesley United Church.
If you would like to drop off food of supplies, the shelter is located at 721 King St. in La Crosse.24130878
- UPDATE: Suspects in Tomah high speed chase arrested
- Fort Lauderdale shooter says he carried out attack for ISIS, FBI claims
- Tuesday closings due to weather
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- Wisconsin Democrats propose legalizing medical marijuana
- Changes coming to prescription drug monitoring website Tuesday
- Sonar scans help divers target Lake Erie plane crash search
- Baldwin, Kind both attending inauguration while Pocan skips
- UnitedHealth tops Street 4Q forecasts
- Get a 'taste' of Onalaska while helping area teachers