DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - Authorities in western Iowa say a woman found dead in a rural Iowa farmhouse near Early was stabbed and her death has been ruled a homicide.
Marilyn Schmitt was found dead in an upstairs bedroom of her home on Thursday. Authorities say it appears she died earlier that morning.
Sac County Sheriff Ken McClure on Monday released the preliminary autopsy findings showing the cause of death.
Schmitt's son, Kirk Riley Levin, 21, has been charged with first-degree murder.
He had been arrested Thursday after a woman claimed he kidnapped her. He's been held in jail since sheriff's deputies found him hiding in a barn Thursday not far from the home where his mother's body was found.
He had been released from prison on a burglary charge just two days earlier.
- Local program helps entrepreneurs succeed
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- Low unemployment creates 'employee market'
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- Injured Packers Nelson, Adams could be game-time decisions
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial