DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) - Authorities in western Iowa say a woman found dead in a rural Iowa farmhouse near Early was stabbed and her death has been ruled a homicide.
Marilyn Schmitt was found dead in an upstairs bedroom of her home on Thursday. Authorities say it appears she died earlier that morning.
Sac County Sheriff Ken McClure on Monday released the preliminary autopsy findings showing the cause of death.
Schmitt's son, Kirk Riley Levin, 21, has been charged with first-degree murder.
He had been arrested Thursday after a woman claimed he kidnapped her. He's been held in jail since sheriff's deputies found him hiding in a barn Thursday not far from the home where his mother's body was found.
He had been released from prison on a burglary charge just two days earlier.
- Holmen man sentenced to life for murder of girlfriend
- Holmen man in custody after armed robbery and 5-hour standoff
- Herberger's to move into former Macy's location at Valley View Mall
- Police: Student critically hurt in Kenosha school stabbing
- Bill banning abortion coverage for state workers up for vote
- Education accountability bill up for committee vote
- Bill would let victims, witnesses block body camera releases
- Man accused of trying to kill girlfriend faces sentencing
- Urban Beekeeping
- New breast cancer detection soon offered at Mayo Clinic in La Crosse