LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - With iTunes and internet downloads taking over the music industry, C-D's are becoming a thing of the past.
There is one vintage form of recording which proves that what goes around, comes around. Vinyl records sales are the best they've been in almost a decade. Since 2002 sales have increased more than 250% . In the past year, more than 6,000,000 records were sold across the country. So why the new found interest? Record stores say it's all about the listening experience.
"There's something about listening to Vinyl, that makes you more selective about your music I feel, because you can't just put it on shuffle, you actually have to pick it out and maintain it flip it over, so you're much more involved with what you're listening to," said Deaf Ear Records manager, Tina Melvin.
It's not just those who grew up listening to records who are buying them. There's a whole new generation that is tuning in to a little piece of the good old days.
"I've never really listened to vinyl before and I found a cheap record player, used, and I was just like this seems like something could get into. You know I've always heard my parents sort of talking about, and my grandparents, Vinyl just sounds different, right?, it just sounds warmer richer tones to it," said Ryan Nell, who has recently bought his first record player.
The resurgence of the vinyl has only has a marginal effect on the music industry as a whole. In 2013, vinyl albums accounted for just 2% of total album sales in the U.S.
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- La Crosse celebrates Arbor Day with a tree planting
- News 8 Sports Round Up-April 28, 2017
- Community leaders observe Workers Memorial Day
- 2 kayakers die after boats capsizes in Lake Michigan
- Kenosha teen stabbed at school dies
- APNewsBreak: Syrian who sued Trump brings family to US