MILWAUKEE (AP) - Outgoing Attorney General J.B. Van Hollen is bidding farewell through a video at the GOP state convention.
Van Hollen announced last year he would not seek re-election this fall. Ismael Ozanne, Susan Happ and Jon Richards all are vying for the Democratic nomination. Brad Schimel is the only Republican in the race.
Van Hollen appeared via a short video presentation at the convention in Milwaukee on Saturday. He apologized for not appearing in person but promised he would attend the convention's prayer breakfast on Sunday. He didn't offer any explanation for his absence and a state Justice Department spokeswoman declined to comment.
Van Hollen told delegates he has worked to protect their freedom and uphold the rule of law. He implored delegates to support Schimel.
- News 8 Investigates - Watching the Watchers
- Looking ahead: Spring road construction
- Winter thaw reveals needles in streets
- Driver identified in bizarre car crash Sunday
- Man puts meth in tip jar and cash
- Warm weather creates dangerous ice conditions
- News 8 Sports Round Up - February 20, 2017
- Oktoberfest officials move Festmaster's Ball to August
- Wisconsin Primaries includes one La Crosse district, State Superintendent
- Woman found guilty of killing bicyclist while texting