WHITEWATER, Wis. (AP) - An English professor at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater has created a composition class especially for military veterans and their families.
A Janesville Gazette report says students will read poetry, short stories and essays. They'll be encouraged -- but never pressured -- to share their own personal experiences.
Associate professor Erin Celello teaches Composition 102. She says she wants students to see the class as a place to connect with other veterans and military personnel. She says they'll be able to express their views in a way they might not be able to in a typical class.
Nicholas Doucette took one of Celello's previous classes. He's a former U.S. Marine who served eight months in Afghanistan. He says he was grateful for the "comforting environment" her class provided.
- Local program helps entrepreneurs succeed
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- Low unemployment creates 'employee market'
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- Injured Packers Nelson, Adams could be game-time decisions
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial