LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - The University of Wisconsin-La Crosse's financial literacy program "It Make$ Cents!" has received a 2013 Wisconsin Financial Literacy Award from the Department of Financial Institutions.
This is the second straight year the program has been recognized.
The program was one of 13 organizations and seven individuals recognized for promoting financial literacy at the Capitol on February 26.
"We are so grateful to have the governor's support and recognition," said Financial Literacy Coordinator Amanda Gasper. "This is extremely rewarding for our It Make$ Cents peer mentors because they want to help their peers — they want to make a difference in people's lives. This shows they are having an impact and are part of something meaningful."
Gasper said the program is successful because it provides content on financial topics that directly relate to students.
It Make$ Cents! formed in 2012 and has grown to include 12 peer mentors in a money management center in UW-L's Centennial Hall.
Altra Federal Credit Union in Onalaska also received a 2013 Wisconsin Financial Literacy Award.
- Man being deported after transit officer asked about status
- Thousands traveling on Memorial Day weekend
- Community shares Memorial Day plans, traditions
- Wet weather delays crop planting
- Proposed bill aims to bring veterans into agriculture
- Wisconsin 2016 job gain smallest in 6 years
- Small school graduates four sets of twins
- News 8 Sports Round Up- May 27, 2017
- Local Radio Shack closing permanently
- 3 Rivers Nutrition hosts beach fitness camp