LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - University of Wisconsin-La Crosse Chancellor Joe Gow says he regrets the decision to cancel classes Thursday afternoon due to the impending storm.
Gow said a group made the decision Wednesday at about 10:15 p.m. in an effort to be proactive, but when they woke up this morning and saw the updated forecast, his opinion for shutting down changed.
"I wish we could undo last night's decision to cancel classes and close campus this afternoon," Gow wrote in a campus-wide email. "Unfortunately, though, our announcement set a wide range of contingency plans into motion and it is not possible to reverse course completely at this time."
Gow sent out another email late Thursday morning with this update for students and staff:
1) All classes after noon today and tonight remain canceled.
2) All UW-L employees who wish to work may do so.
3) We will do our best to have as many offices and facilities open this afternoon. However, because of staffing inconsistencies and challenges created by last night's campus closure announcement it will not be possible to have every facility available. For example, it is my understanding right now that the REC will be open this afternoon, but Murphy Library will not. So please check with a particular area to see what is available. Situations may change as the day progresses.
"I hope people will understand we had a forecast for a pretty scary afternoon here storm-wise and now it's not gonna happen," Gow told News 8. "I guess we should be relieved of that but, the class schedule will be disrupted for this half the day."
Be sure to ‘like' WKBT StormTeam 8 on Facebook for updates throughout the day. You can also check the interactive radar on our weather page On News8000.com.
- Hunger Task Force garners tons of food through Family Fest
- La Crosse Fire Department offering free smoke alarm installation
- Area prospective home buyers learning basics
- Sunday liquor sales heads for final Minnesota Senate vote
- Viterbo celebrates one year of 'Service Saturdays'
- New safety measures on the way to Norplex Drive after recent creek death
- Rep. Walz mulling Democratic bid for Minnesota governor
- Gundersen program helps mothers, parents with drug addictions
- Wisconsin attorney general appeals redistricting ruling
- Researchers may have found link between stress and weight gain