WHITEHALL, Wis. (WKBT) - An unloaded gun was found in a Whitehall High School student's bag Thursday evening after a tip came from two students.
At approximately 7:00 pm two students notified a staff member that a third high school student had an unloaded gun in his possession at school and that the gun was in his locker or in the bag that was in his possession.
The bag in question was secured and an unloaded .22 caliber handgun was found inside.
Police determined that there was no imminent danger to anyone at school as no ammunition was present for the handgun and that the gun was not at school during school hours.
The press release from the school district states police believe it was an isolated event and that there was no reason to believe there was any intention to cause harm to anyone in or around our school buildings.
The bulk of the evening's Homecoming events were allowed to continue, but the Homecoming bonfire was postponed.
The student has been suspended from school pending a hearing for expulsion from The Whitehall School District.
A statement of facts was shared with those in attendance at Thursday night's Homecoming activities and all parents of the District were notified by email between 6:15 and 7:15 am on Friday as well as by a follow up call and email using the school's messaging system.
- Evers, Holtz win primary for state school superintendent
- Statewide personal care worker shortage creates uncertain future
- Local golfers take advantage of recent warm weather
- UW-La Crosse officials discuss possibility of tobacco-free campus
- Report: State trooper faces child porn charges
- Padesky, Dutton move on in city council primary
- Radtke, Schaumberg advance in Trempealeau Co. judge primary
- News 8 Highlight Zone - February 21, 2017
- Adaptive Sports League wraps up winter season with floor hockey tourney
- February Primaries bring voters out in La Crosse