LA CROSSE, WI (WKBT) - Before sitting down to their Thanksgiving meal, some runners took to the streets of La Crosse Thursday morning.
It was part of the third annual Festival Foods Turkey Trot. More than 3,000 people took part. There were 3 events; a 5-mile run, 2-mile walk and new this year, a 2-mile dog jog.
Because it was Thanksgiving, Festival Foods gave out free pumpkin pies at the finish line. It was cold Thursday morning, but that didn't stop people from participating. "We were a little worried with the cold weather," says Kelly Poppele from Festival Foods, "but people were out here having a great time and they seem to be having lots of fun so, it's been really good so far and hopefully each year keeps getting better."
One runner who took part was Christopher Stindt, who is new to the La Crosse area. I actually just moved here in January," says Stindt, "and I love that La Crosse has a bunch of opportunities for people to do fitness and to run, it really helps for the community to have different options and be able to stay active."
All the proceeds from Thursday's event will benefit both the Boys and Girls Club and the La Crosse Family YMCA.23206516
- La Crosse distribution facility to close
- Assignment: Education - Advanced Placement Program Growing
- Man arrested in apparent Hibbing homicide
- Apostle Islands ice caves inaccessible to visitors
- Ice storms reducing blood donations in Midwest
- Icy weather brings danger
- State sues former UW-Oshkosh chancellor, business officer
- Walker sends letter in support of DeVos for education head
- Packers WR Nelson unlikely to play vs. Falcons
- Ice causing large number of falls in La Crosse