LA CROSSE, WI (WKBT) - Before sitting down to their Thanksgiving meal, some runners took to the streets of La Crosse Thursday morning.
It was part of the third annual Festival Foods Turkey Trot. More than 3,000 people took part. There were 3 events; a 5-mile run, 2-mile walk and new this year, a 2-mile dog jog.
Because it was Thanksgiving, Festival Foods gave out free pumpkin pies at the finish line. It was cold Thursday morning, but that didn't stop people from participating. "We were a little worried with the cold weather," says Kelly Poppele from Festival Foods, "but people were out here having a great time and they seem to be having lots of fun so, it's been really good so far and hopefully each year keeps getting better."
One runner who took part was Christopher Stindt, who is new to the La Crosse area. I actually just moved here in January," says Stindt, "and I love that La Crosse has a bunch of opportunities for people to do fitness and to run, it really helps for the community to have different options and be able to stay active."
All the proceeds from Thursday's event will benefit both the Boys and Girls Club and the La Crosse Family YMCA.23206516
- Popular Netflix series starts suicide conversation
- Local police, organization work to reduce excessive drinking behavior
- Road closures in La Crosse this weekend
- Get rid of your unused or unwanted prescription medications this Saturday
- La Crosse celebrates Arbor Day with a tree planting
- M.S. Walk raising money for medical research
- News 8 Sports Round Up-April 28, 2017
- Community leaders observe Workers Memorial Day
- 2 kayakers die after boats capsizes in Lake Michigan
- Kenosha teen stabbed at school dies