EAU CLAIRE, Wis. (AP) -- The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources says a photo of a cougar taken in Juneau County is legitimate.
The agency says two DNR wildlife biologists verified the photo, taken by a trail camera Sunday night.
The DNR says the photo shows a young adult cougar moving against a nighttime background of native grasses. The camera was located more than two miles north of Mauston.3989772
DNR officials learned of the photo on Friday. The landowner hadn't checked the camera for several days, but a time stamp establishes when the photo was taken.
DNR wildlife biologist Adrian Wydeven says it's likely a male cougar in search of new territory.
It's the seventh time a trail camera has captured a cougar in Wisconsin, although three of the instances probably involved the same cougar.
- Walker hopes federal government shutdown can be avoided
- Baldwin encourages Perdue to visit Wisconsin dairy farmers
- Bills to fight homelessness in Wisconsin up for vote
- Proposal would allow homemade baked goods sales in Wisconsin
- Wisconsin dairy farms face closure due to Canadian policies
- Walker says he has 'no interest' in higher vehicle fees
- CSAs connecting fresh produce to consumers
- La Crosse 12-year-old to clean up skate park with community help
- Thousands honored in La Crosse for volunteering
- Mom who made kids sleep in feces-covered room gets probation