EAU CLAIRE, Wis. (AP) -- The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources says a photo of a cougar taken in Juneau County is legitimate.
The agency says two DNR wildlife biologists verified the photo, taken by a trail camera Sunday night.
The DNR says the photo shows a young adult cougar moving against a nighttime background of native grasses. The camera was located more than two miles north of Mauston.3989772
DNR officials learned of the photo on Friday. The landowner hadn't checked the camera for several days, but a time stamp establishes when the photo was taken.
DNR wildlife biologist Adrian Wydeven says it's likely a male cougar in search of new territory.
It's the seventh time a trail camera has captured a cougar in Wisconsin, although three of the instances probably involved the same cougar.
- Local event helps connect military families
- De Soto Area Lions Club promoting grant for flood victims
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump
- UW-La Crosse students organize 'Women's March on La Crosse'
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Minnesota GOP charts new course in response to protests