TOWN OF PELICAN, Wis. (AP) - Authorities in Oneida County say a toddler has died after being found in a river that runs along the child's backyard.
The sheriff's office received a 911 call Saturday about 1:30 p.m. reporting a missing 15-month-old in the Town of Pelican.
Deputies say the mother was outside with the child and another sibling. The mother says she went inside to move laundry into the dryer, and when she came back she couldn't find the 15-month-old.
Emergency officials rushed to the home, which sits along the Pelican River. A deputy found the toddler in the water about 30 minutes later, downstream from the home. The child was rushed to a hospital and was declared dead about 3 p.m.
Deputies haven't released any other information, including the child's name or gender.
- Assignment: Education - Advanced Placement Program Growing
- La Crosse distribution facility to close
- Icy weather brings danger
- Packers WR Nelson unlikely to play vs. Falcons
- Ice causing large number of falls in La Crosse
- Republican senator circulates marijuana extract bill
- Icy conditions make area sidewalks slippery
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- Ice storms reducing blood donations in Midwest
- Pocan no longer attending inauguration