TOWN OF PELICAN, Wis. (AP) - Authorities in Oneida County say a toddler has died after being found in a river that runs along the child's backyard.
The sheriff's office received a 911 call Saturday about 1:30 p.m. reporting a missing 15-month-old in the Town of Pelican.
Deputies say the mother was outside with the child and another sibling. The mother says she went inside to move laundry into the dryer, and when she came back she couldn't find the 15-month-old.
Emergency officials rushed to the home, which sits along the Pelican River. A deputy found the toddler in the water about 30 minutes later, downstream from the home. The child was rushed to a hospital and was declared dead about 3 p.m.
Deputies haven't released any other information, including the child's name or gender.
- News 8 Investigates - Watching the Watchers
- Looking ahead: Spring road construction
- Winter thaw reveals needles in streets
- Driver identified in bizarre car crash Sunday
- Man puts meth in tip jar and cash
- Warm weather creates dangerous ice conditions
- News 8 Sports Round Up - February 20, 2017
- Oktoberfest officials move Festmaster's Ball to August
- Wisconsin Primaries includes one La Crosse district, State Superintendent
- Woman found guilty of killing bicyclist while texting