LA CROSSE, Wis. - Thousands trotted down to the La Crosse center bright and early Thursday morning to race off a few pounds before Thanksgiving dinner.
More than 3,000 people took off in Thursday's 5th annual Festival Foods Turkey Trot.
Runners could choose from a two-mile walk or a five-mile run through parts of downtown La Crosse.
Event organizers said the race is a great annual tradition to promote a healthy lifestyle.17528714
"It provides families with an outlet on Thanksgiving morning," said Michael Siakpere, public realations for Festival Foods. "It promotes family values, fitness and just having a great time, and if you can put all of those together its a win-win for all parties involved. Also, it gives people something to do on Thanksgiving morning. They feel better eating on Thanksgiving and going up for seconds after they've exercised in the morning."
La Crosse was one of eight other communities holding the event Thursday.
Proceeds from the event go to help the YMCA and the Boys and Girls Club.
- Herberger's to move into former Macy's location at Valley View Mall
- Suspect in Vernon Co. standoff in custody
- Bill banning abortion coverage for state workers up for vote
- Education accountability bill up for committee vote
- Man accused of trying to kill girlfriend faces sentencing
- Giving Motherhood a microphone
- Vikings say goodbye to Adrian Peterson, will see him Week 1 vs Saints
- Why more people may be driving hybrid vehicles
- La Crosse Recycling Fair begins this Sunday
- ‘Youth & Government Day' offers students insight into local government