LA CROSSE, Wis. - Thousands trotted down to the La Crosse center bright and early Thursday morning to race off a few pounds before Thanksgiving dinner.
More than 3,000 people took off in Thursday's 5th annual Festival Foods Turkey Trot.
Runners could choose from a two-mile walk or a five-mile run through parts of downtown La Crosse.
Event organizers said the race is a great annual tradition to promote a healthy lifestyle.17528714
"It provides families with an outlet on Thanksgiving morning," said Michael Siakpere, public realations for Festival Foods. "It promotes family values, fitness and just having a great time, and if you can put all of those together its a win-win for all parties involved. Also, it gives people something to do on Thanksgiving morning. They feel better eating on Thanksgiving and going up for seconds after they've exercised in the morning."
La Crosse was one of eight other communities holding the event Thursday.
Proceeds from the event go to help the YMCA and the Boys and Girls Club.
- Local program helps entrepreneurs succeed
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- Low unemployment creates 'employee market'
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota
- Complaint leads to cross being removed from vets memorial
- Husband charged in connection to wife's death