KENOSHA, Wis. (AP) - Sheriff's officials say the driver of an SUV was killed after colliding with a train in Kenosha County.
Authorities say when the driver attempted to stop for an Amtrak crossing in the Town of Somers about 9 p.m. Thursday, the vehicle slid 150 feet on the snow-covered road, traveled through a ditch and onto the tracks. The crossing gates and lights were activated at the time. Erik Johnson, 20, of Kenosha, was fatally injured and was the only occupant in the Jeep Cherokee.
The sheriff's department says 89 passengers and three crew members on the Amtrak train were not injured. Buses were brought in to transport the passengers.
- Area couple awaits man's heart, liver transplant
- WIAA to offer concussion insurance for student athletes
- Sparta American Legion Family presents check to Freedom Honor Flight
- ‘Nursing Research on the Green' presents advances in nursing at Viterbo
- La Crosse man accused of posting nude photos of ex online
- Local program offers veterans extra healthcare
- Facing deadline, most Wisconsin dairy farms find new buyer
- Holmen man sentenced to life for murder of girlfriend
- GOP bill would discipline hecklers at UW speeches
- Wisconsin DOJ, feds, police set up Drug Take Back Day