CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (AP) - Sheriff's deputies in Cedar Rapids didn't have to go far to arrest a man charged with stealing the newspaper outside their office.
Linn County Sheriff Brian Gardner said his deputies arrested David Dillon, 50, on Friday morning after he was seen stealing the Gazette newspaper from the steps of the office. Gardner sent a press release to announce his office had solved the - quote - "paper caper."
Gardner says Dillon was seen on security camera stealing the office's newspaper Wednesday and Thursday. He says deputies waited for Dillon and caught him in the act Friday.
Gardner says Dillion told deputies that he took the papers because he simply wanted to read them.
Dillon is charged with fifth-degree theft and possession of drug paraphernalia. A number for him isn't listed.
- Holmen man sentenced to life for murder of girlfriend
- Holmen man in custody after armed robbery and 5-hour standoff
- Herberger's to move into former Macy's location at Valley View Mall
- Police: Student critically hurt in Kenosha school stabbing
- Bill banning abortion coverage for state workers up for vote
- Education accountability bill up for committee vote
- Bill would let victims, witnesses block body camera releases
- Man accused of trying to kill girlfriend faces sentencing
- Urban Beekeeping
- New breast cancer detection soon offered at Mayo Clinic in La Crosse