CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (AP) - Sheriff's deputies in Cedar Rapids didn't have to go far to arrest a man charged with stealing the newspaper outside their office.
Linn County Sheriff Brian Gardner said his deputies arrested David Dillon, 50, on Friday morning after he was seen stealing the Gazette newspaper from the steps of the office. Gardner sent a press release to announce his office had solved the - quote - "paper caper."
Gardner says Dillon was seen on security camera stealing the office's newspaper Wednesday and Thursday. He says deputies waited for Dillon and caught him in the act Friday.
Gardner says Dillion told deputies that he took the papers because he simply wanted to read them.
Dillon is charged with fifth-degree theft and possession of drug paraphernalia. A number for him isn't listed.
- Tuesday closings due to weather
- Changes coming to prescription drug monitoring website Tuesday
- Get a 'taste' of Onalaska while helping area teachers
- Xcel sets new record for hydroelectric production
- Winter Rec-Fest brings winter sports to La Crosse families
- La Crosse Public Education Foundation honors grant recipients
- 1 dead, 4 others injured by apparent carbon monoxide
- Man killed after setting off apartment explosion
- Missing elderly man found dead in Grant County
- State leaders push for more progress at MLK Day celebration