SPARTA, Wis. (WKBT) - Sparta police arrested a 34-year-old woman on suspicion of Operating While Intoxicated and Reckless Driving Causing Injury after she struck a bicyclist from behind with her vehicle on Monday night.
Sparta police were called to Wisconsin Street just east of East Avenue in Sparta at about 10:20 p.m. for a traffic crash.
Jeremy D. Briggs, 38, of Sparta, was riding a bicycle eastbound on Wisconsin Street when he was struck from behind by a vehicle driven by Amber Rhodes, of Sparta, who was also driving eastbound, according to Sparta police. Briggs was transported by the Sparta Area Ambulance to Mayo Clinic Health Systems in Sparta and was later flown by Med-link to La Crosse with serious, but what appeared to be non-life-threatening injuries.
Traffic in the area of the crash was rerouted for about three hours. The Monroe County Sheriff's Department, Wisconsin State Patrol and the Monroe County Communications Center also assisted Sparta police with this incident.
- Area veterans visit cemeteries, honor fallen heroes
- Riverside Memorial Day ceremony honors sea-based service members
- Service members honored at La Crosse's Memorial Day ceremony
- La Crosse celebrates Memorial Day with annual parade
- 4 killed, 5 injured in minivan-pickup crash in NW Wisconsin
- Two people rescued from Onalaska Spillway
- C-FC senior has second chance at state gold
- Bauer's Market has busy weekend
- Arcadia hosts annual Broiler Days Parade
- Wisconsin Democrats view Republican Gov. Walker as beatable