SPARTA, Wis. (WKBT) - Sparta police arrested a 34-year-old woman on suspicion of Operating While Intoxicated and Reckless Driving Causing Injury after she struck a bicyclist from behind with her vehicle on Monday night.
Sparta police were called to Wisconsin Street just east of East Avenue in Sparta at about 10:20 p.m. for a traffic crash.
Jeremy D. Briggs, 38, of Sparta, was riding a bicycle eastbound on Wisconsin Street when he was struck from behind by a vehicle driven by Amber Rhodes, of Sparta, who was also driving eastbound, according to Sparta police. Briggs was transported by the Sparta Area Ambulance to Mayo Clinic Health Systems in Sparta and was later flown by Med-link to La Crosse with serious, but what appeared to be non-life-threatening injuries.
Traffic in the area of the crash was rerouted for about three hours. The Monroe County Sheriff's Department, Wisconsin State Patrol and the Monroe County Communications Center also assisted Sparta police with this incident.
- Holmen homicide suspect pleads guilty in 2015 murder
- Turnout hits 8 percent in Wisconsin superintendent race
- Powerball jackpot tops $400 million for 1st time in months
- The guitar that will build a La Crosse home
- Former Packer talks leadership, teamwork at Boy Scouts fundraiser
- Interfaith panel promotes understanding
- 'Spudmobile' makes stop at La Crosse schools
- La Crescent leaders hear ideas for downtown development
- Businesses gather for discussion on possible new tax
- Students learn robotics at Trane in La Crosse