LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Sentencing for the Coon Valley man accused of denting his 8-month-old girl's skull is delayed because of a last minute change of mind.
21-year-old Robert Schmidt was supposed to be sentenced in court Friday. Instead, Schmidt and his layer withdrew his guilty plea because of concerns with how his case was being handled prior to sentencing.
Schmidt is charged with child abuse after doctors decided the infant's injuries did not match his version of what happened.
Schmidt originally said the baby had rolled over in her bassinet and hit her head on the side of it before changing his story a number of times. None of Schmidt's explanations were consistent with the injuries.
There will now be an evidentiary hearing on the plea. The date of that hearing has yet to be decided.
- Deputy: 1 ejected, several injured in school bus vs. dump truck crash
- Prison launches service dog training program
- Heart disease survivor pushes forward
- Flooding affecting Memorial Day camping in La Crosse
- Father-son team arrested in Chicago-to-La Crosse drug trade, police say
- La Crosse Valley View Mall for sale by property owner
- Emergency responders take part in mass casualty drill at La Crosse airport
- Gehl Foods distributed nacho cheese linked to fatal botulism
- Bennett getting acclimated quickly to Packers
- La Crosse Center approves 10-game schedule for pro basketball team