LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - Sentencing for the Coon Valley man accused of denting his 8-month-old girl's skull is delayed because of a last minute change of mind.
21-year-old Robert Schmidt was supposed to be sentenced in court Friday. Instead, Schmidt and his layer withdrew his guilty plea because of concerns with how his case was being handled prior to sentencing.
Schmidt is charged with child abuse after doctors decided the infant's injuries did not match his version of what happened.
Schmidt originally said the baby had rolled over in her bassinet and hit her head on the side of it before changing his story a number of times. None of Schmidt's explanations were consistent with the injuries.
There will now be an evidentiary hearing on the plea. The date of that hearing has yet to be decided.
- Plans on hold for proposed cell towers in La Crosse
- Minnesota Gov. Dayton collapses during speech
- Gov. Walker proposes welfare changes
- Wisconsin Democrats defend abortion access with resolution
- La Crosse's Satori Arts to be featured on 'American Pickers'
- Holmen Fire Department focuses fire safety education on different age groups
- WinCraft gets to work making Super Bowl merchandise
- ‘School Choice Week' showcases local schools for parents
- Bill Feehan remains La Crosse Republican Party Chairman
- Wisconsin Republicans criticize Baldwin for fundraiser