ST. PAUL, Minn. (AP) - After an extended wait, two of Gov. Mark Dayton's cabinet members are officially in place.
The Minnesota Senate Thursday confirmed Jim Schowalter as the commissioner of the state's budget department, and Larry Pogemiller as director of the Office of Higher Education.
The previous Republican-controlled Senate didn't take up confirmation of Dayton's appointees.
Schowalter has been on the job at the Minnesota Management and Budget awaiting confirmation for more than two years. Dayton appointed Schowalter to lead the Minnesota Management and Budget Department back in December 2010. He has worked at MMB since 1994.
Pogemiller left the Legislature after 30 years, including four as Senate majority leader, when Dayton appointed him to take over the Office of Higher Education in October 2011.
- Trump, Walker discuss Wisconsin dairy dispute
- Wisconsin at high risk of wildfires after sunny, dry weather
- Wisconsin Legislature set to give wells bill final OK
- Prosecutor: No water for week led to jail dehydration death
- Student stabbed at Kenosha high school
- Bridge project in southeast Minnesota on schedule, budget
- House Republicans pass abortion bills
- Minnesota couple accused of sexually assaulting teenage girl
- Report: Saints, running back Peterson agree on contract
- Federal officials charge 15 with eagle trafficking