ONALASKA, Wis. (WKBT) - A splash of color is helping area children stay active throughout the year.
The La Crosse Area Family YMCA will host its 2nd annual Color Dash Saturday, August 16, at 10 a.m.
The world's brightest 5k sponsored by the La Crosse Radio Group helps support programs and services at the Y. However, unlike other 5ks, for every kilometer a person walks or runs they are greeted with a cloud of color.
Due to the 1000 participant turn out at last year's Color Dash, the route is more open this year to accommodate for the number of participants.
Community support helps thousands of youth and families share the YMCA experience. All proceeds from the event go to the Y's campaign.
"It's a food grade corn syrup, so it's just a polymer type material, completely safe, and it does wash out, It might not wash out of your shoes right away, but it will wash out," said YMCA Events Director Travis Pernsteiner
The Color Dash 5k takes place Saturday at the YMCA North in Onalaska. Registration starts at 8 a.m. with the race starting at 10 a.m. Organizers say to wear white to soak up as much color as possible.
To register or for more information on the event, visit www.laxymca.org/events/color-dash-5k/.
- Spike in attempted suicides at La Crosse's Juvenile Detention Facility prompts changes
- Teen dies in Vernon County hunting accident
- Police and Fire Commission to vote on new Fire Chief Wednesday
- Walker defends property tax cut, issues veto threat
- Road for UWL ends at NCAA III Midwest Regional title game
- News 8 Sports Round Up - May 22, 2017
- Downtown businesses ask for changes to weekend street parking rules
- WisCorps launching new Inclusive Crew
- Lane closures coming to I-90 on Dresbach Bridge
- ‘Click It or Ticket' regional campaign begins in Minnesota