ONALASKA, Wis. (WKBT) - A splash of color is helping area children stay active throughout the year.
The La Crosse Area Family YMCA will host its 2nd annual Color Dash Saturday, August 16, at 10 a.m.
The world's brightest 5k sponsored by the La Crosse Radio Group helps support programs and services at the Y. However, unlike other 5ks, for every kilometer a person walks or runs they are greeted with a cloud of color.
Due to the 1000 participant turn out at last year's Color Dash, the route is more open this year to accommodate for the number of participants.
Community support helps thousands of youth and families share the YMCA experience. All proceeds from the event go to the Y's campaign.
"It's a food grade corn syrup, so it's just a polymer type material, completely safe, and it does wash out, It might not wash out of your shoes right away, but it will wash out," said YMCA Events Director Travis Pernsteiner
The Color Dash 5k takes place Saturday at the YMCA North in Onalaska. Registration starts at 8 a.m. with the race starting at 10 a.m. Organizers say to wear white to soak up as much color as possible.
To register or for more information on the event, visit www.laxymca.org/events/color-dash-5k/.
- Viroqua chef nominated for highest honor in restaurant industry
- State to contribute $5 million to La Crosse Center renovations
- La Crosse Fire Department investigating two early morning fires
- Police searching for man who robbed Holy Smokes at gun point
- Warmer than average temperatures benefit area businesses, ski tournaments
- Kayaker found in river near Winona identified
- Democrat Kind not ruling out run for governor against Walker
- Wisconsin lawmakers ditch plans to end daylight saving time
- JJ Watt donates $10K to fund for family in Hwy. 30 wreck
- Area hotel damaged after bizarre car crash