ONALASKA, Wis. (WKBT) - A splash of color is helping area children stay active throughout the year.
The La Crosse Area Family YMCA will host its 2nd annual Color Dash Saturday, August 16, at 10 a.m.
The world's brightest 5k sponsored by the La Crosse Radio Group helps support programs and services at the Y. However, unlike other 5ks, for every kilometer a person walks or runs they are greeted with a cloud of color.
Due to the 1000 participant turn out at last year's Color Dash, the route is more open this year to accommodate for the number of participants.
Community support helps thousands of youth and families share the YMCA experience. All proceeds from the event go to the Y's campaign.
"It's a food grade corn syrup, so it's just a polymer type material, completely safe, and it does wash out, It might not wash out of your shoes right away, but it will wash out," said YMCA Events Director Travis Pernsteiner
The Color Dash 5k takes place Saturday at the YMCA North in Onalaska. Registration starts at 8 a.m. with the race starting at 10 a.m. Organizers say to wear white to soak up as much color as possible.
To register or for more information on the event, visit www.laxymca.org/events/color-dash-5k/.
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump
- Local program helps entrepreneurs succeed
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- Low unemployment creates 'employee market'
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Assembly Republicans call for $300 million for roads
- New chronic wasting disease case found in central Minnesota