LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - With summer winding down and the start of school a little more than a week away many kids will not have the supplies they need for their first day of class.
However a partnership between the Salvation Army and Catholic Charities is working to fix that. It's all thanks to their Back to School program.
Community members sponsor a child by supplying them with school supplies, backpacks, and even new clothes for the school year. More than 470 children are being sponsored but there are still many who are in need of your help.
"First day of school excitement really makes it easier for the kids to be accepted to feel comfortable on that first day of school. It doesn't have to be anything you know expensive or even name brand just something for them to feel good about wearing," said Salvation Army Program Coordinator Vicky Martin.
The Salvation Army will distribute all the supplies next Wednesday.
There is still time to help out. If you're interested in sponsoring a child call the Salvation Army at 608-782-6126.
- Man being deported after transit officer asked about status
- Thousands traveling on Memorial Day weekend
- Community shares Memorial Day plans, traditions
- Wet weather delays crop planting
- Proposed bill aims to bring veterans into agriculture
- Wisconsin 2016 job gain smallest in 6 years
- Small school graduates four sets of twins
- Local Radio Shack closing permanently
- 3 Rivers Nutrition hosts beach fitness camp
- La Crosse Central holds 95th Memorial Day ceremony