LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - With summer winding down and the start of school a little more than a week away many kids will not have the supplies they need for their first day of class.
However a partnership between the Salvation Army and Catholic Charities is working to fix that. It's all thanks to their Back to School program.
Community members sponsor a child by supplying them with school supplies, backpacks, and even new clothes for the school year. More than 470 children are being sponsored but there are still many who are in need of your help.
"First day of school excitement really makes it easier for the kids to be accepted to feel comfortable on that first day of school. It doesn't have to be anything you know expensive or even name brand just something for them to feel good about wearing," said Salvation Army Program Coordinator Vicky Martin.
The Salvation Army will distribute all the supplies next Wednesday.
There is still time to help out. If you're interested in sponsoring a child call the Salvation Army at 608-782-6126.
- Hunger Task Force garners tons of food through Family Fest
- La Crosse Fire Department offering free smoke alarm installation
- Area prospective home buyers learning basics
- Sunday liquor sales heads for final Minnesota Senate vote
- Viterbo celebrates one year of 'Service Saturdays'
- New safety measures on the way to Norplex Drive after recent creek death
- Rep. Walz mulling Democratic bid for Minnesota governor
- Gundersen program helps mothers, parents with drug addictions
- Wisconsin attorney general appeals redistricting ruling
- Researchers may have found link between stress and weight gain