LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - You can help make this a happy holiday season for local families.
The Angel Giving Tree went up Tuesday morning at Valley View Mall in La Crosse. The tree is decorated with tags showing the clothes and shoe sizes for area kids, as well as some of the things they like or would want as a gift.
Members of the community can then pick a tag from the tree, buy the items and drop the gifts off at the tree or the Salvation Army in La Crosse.
"It's one of the best times of the year, and some families simply just don't have the resources to provide those presents to their kids," said the Salvation Army's Nick Ragner. "We're asking community members to step up, essentially play the role of Santa Claus, put a smile on a kid's face by getting them a brand new outfit and a pair of shoes, and that's what the Angel Giving Tree is all about."
This year's tree features the names of 1200 area kids from more than 400 families.
Gifts that are bought should be brought back to the Angel Giving Tree or taken to the Salvation Army by December 5th. The presents will then be distributed to families in the program on December 15th.
- Wisconsin state schools superintendent field to be narrowed
- Report: State trooper faces child porn charges
- 3 children, semi driver injured in crash
- Green Bay's mayor survives removal petition
- Looking ahead: Spring road construction
- Groomer accused of kicking dog gets 2 years of probation
- Winter thaw reveals needles in streets
- News 8 Investigates - Watching the Watchers
- Truck driver fatally crushed by pipe near Minneapolis
- Driver identified in bizarre car crash Sunday