LA CROSSE, Wis. (WKBT) - The colors that come with a Wisconsin spring are finally here - green, and the orange that signifies road construction.
Two big projects are already underway on major roadways this spring. Crews are in the process of updating both State Highway 16 and I-90, now that the weather's turned warmer.
Each project is still in its early stages, so you might want to prepare yourself for a long road of construction this summer.
Crews are working by night on Highway 16 in Onalaska to reinforce the aging pavement.
"The concrete's deteriorating faster than what we had hoped," says project manager Todd Waldo.
The project is more of a short-term fix to keep the pavement from breaking up any worse than it has, according to Waldo. He added delays aren't expected, since the construction only takes place from 7 p.m. to 7 a.m.
"But you might want to plan a few minutes extra," he concedes.
That project is scheduled to finish in June or earlier, weather permitting.
Just a few miles down the road, work on I-90 is just beginning. Rob Winterten, the manager of that project, says 2014 will be a prep year for the work ahead. Most of that work will focus on re-vamping Exit 3, which includes the addition of traffic lights.
Winterten says no delays are anticipated at that construction site, either, as construction will be halted during the busiest traffic hours during the day.
However, you will see a 12-day detour sometime in mid-May - meaning if you use Exit 3, you will have to change your route to Exit 4.
Crews at I-90 will wrap up for the season in September. The entire project will be completed sometime in 2018.
- Historic building project complete; now includes affordable housing
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- 'Candy Man' agrees to surrender medical license
- Wisconsin DPI considers easing license requirements to ease teacher shortage
- Annual Iverson Freking Awards handed out at luncheon
- Assembly speaker says his job is harder than governor's
- Alternative transportation forum looks to the future
- Highway 53 steering committee considering options for corridor development
- Toyota donates nearly $15,000 to La Crosse YWCA
- Buzz's Bikes building still looking for new owners