RICHLAND COUNTY, Wis. (WKBT) - Richland County jail staff found a 27-year-old woman hanging in the sleeping area of her jail cell block late Saturday night.
The Richland County Sheriff's Department said jail staff and arriving law enforcement officers used an automatic defibrillator to try to resuscitate Jamie L. Holcomb, of Whitewater. Compressions and rescue breathing was then started on Holcomb who was then transported to the Richland Hospital by Richland County ambulance, the Sheriff's Department stated.
Holcomb was then transported to the UW Hospital in Madison where she was later pronounced dead.
Richland County Sheriff Darrell Berglin said Holcomb had been an inmate in the county jail since May 21. She was booked on three felony bail jumping charges involving harassment injunction violations and additional telephone harassment and misdemeanor drug charges. Holcomb was given a $3,000 cash bond on May 27, but was unable to post it.
Sheriff Berglin said the incident is still being investigated. The state jail inspector's office has been notified of the death and will perform an evaluation of the incident, Sheriff Berglin said.
An autopsy was being performed on Holcomb on Monday.
- Deputy: 1 ejected, several injured in school bus vs. dump truck crash
- Prison launches service dog training program
- Heart disease survivor pushes forward
- Flooding affecting Memorial Day camping in La Crosse
- Father-son team arrested in Chicago-to-La Crosse drug trade, police say
- La Crosse Valley View Mall for sale by property owner
- Emergency responders take part in mass casualty drill at La Crosse airport
- Gehl Foods distributed nacho cheese linked to fatal botulism
- Bennett getting acclimated quickly to Packers
- La Crosse Center approves 10-game schedule for pro basketball team