LA CROSSE, WI (AP) - New reports say a Minnesota woman who drowned after her car plunged down a 40-foot embankment and crashed through ice in Wisconsin was legally drunk at the time.
A La Crosse Tribune report says 21-year-old Ellen "Ellie" Ahmann of Winona, Minn., had just left the downtown tavern where she was tending bar on New Year's Eve. Police reports obtained through an open-records request say her blood-alcohol level was 0.16 percent, or twice the legal limit.
The reports quote Ahmann's roommate as saying Ahmann and friends had "a couple" of drinks before she drove to work.
Surveillance video from the Cheap Shots bar shows Ahmann drinking three shots in about 30 minutes.
She left about 10 p.m. Video shows her car jumping a curb and plunging toward the river.
- Tuesday closings due to weather
- Changes coming to prescription drug monitoring website Tuesday
- Get a 'taste' of Onalaska while helping area teachers
- Xcel sets new record for hydroelectric production
- Winter Rec-Fest brings winter sports to La Crosse families
- La Crosse Public Education Foundation honors grant recipients
- 1 dead, 4 others injured by apparent carbon monoxide
- Man killed after setting off apartment explosion
- Missing elderly man found dead in Grant County
- State leaders push for more progress at MLK Day celebration