President Obama is calling on companies to hire workers that have been unemployed for a long period of time. Congressman Ron Kind says that task is both important, and difficult.
Rep. Kind says putting the unemployed back to work will not only save taxpayers from paying for unemployment, but will also give people a paycheck that they will spend, helping boost the economy.
Rep. Kind also says there are jobs out there, but there are not enough skilled workers to fill the positions. He thinks job training is important in bridging that skills gap.
We also asked Rep. Kind about why he voted against the Farm Bill, and the difficult task of ending farm subsidies for billion dollar companies.
- City crews busy repairing potholes
- Minnesota ban on Sunday liquor sales may be lifted
- Local hospital expands suicide screening
- Onalaska mother, daughter charged with child neglect, animal mistreatment
- Onalaska authorities continue to search for man on the run
- Winter Rec-Fest Medallion has been found!
- Wisconsin unemployment rate drops to 4 percent in December
- 13-year-old charged with attempted murder in Fort Dodge
- Gundersen warns against travelling to Zika-impacted areas
- Todd English named Firefighter of the Year for 2016