President Obama is calling on companies to hire workers that have been unemployed for a long period of time. Congressman Ron Kind says that task is both important, and difficult.
Rep. Kind says putting the unemployed back to work will not only save taxpayers from paying for unemployment, but will also give people a paycheck that they will spend, helping boost the economy.
Rep. Kind also says there are jobs out there, but there are not enough skilled workers to fill the positions. He thinks job training is important in bridging that skills gap.
We also asked Rep. Kind about why he voted against the Farm Bill, and the difficult task of ending farm subsidies for billion dollar companies.
- Hunger Task Force garners tons of food through Family Fest
- La Crosse Fire Department offering free smoke alarm installation
- Area prospective home buyers learning basics
- Sunday liquor sales heads for final Minnesota Senate vote
- Viterbo celebrates one year of 'Service Saturdays'
- New safety measures on the way to Norplex Drive after recent creek death
- Rep. Walz mulling Democratic bid for Minnesota governor
- Gundersen program helps mothers, parents with drug addictions
- Wisconsin attorney general appeals redistricting ruling
- Officers fired upon in Milwaukee