LA CROSSE, WI (WKBT) - An area politician is working to bring justice to victims of human trafficking crimes in Wisconsin.
Today is National Human Trafficking Awareness Day, and in honor of it, Representative Jill Billings is introducing The Predator Accountability Act.
The bill would help victims of human trafficking sue their perpetrators in civil court. Billings says the bill would help bring closure to those victims, and shed some light on an issue that's often shied away from.
"In Wisconsin and even in La Crosse, often people kind of turn a blind eye to this, and it's hard to see this is happening, but it's a growing problem," Billings said.
The bill is one of many being introduced in the state Assembly, that's focused on fighting human trafficking in Wisconsin.23887388
- La Crosse distribution facility to close
- Icy weather brings danger
- Assignment: Education - Advanced Placement Program Growing
- Packers WR Nelson unlikely to play vs. Falcons
- Ice causing large number of falls in La Crosse
- Republican senator circulates marijuana extract bill
- Icy conditions make area sidewalks slippery
- Travel dangerous in many roads in Wisconsin
- UPDATE: Suspects in Tomah high speed chase arrested
- Ice storms reducing blood donations in Midwest