MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - Capt. Richard Phillips, the hijacking survivor who inspired the new movie "Captain Phillips," is coming to Minnesota to speak.
Phillips is scheduled to appear Dec. 8 at Beth El Synagogue's "Heroes Among Us" series in St. Louis Park.
In 2009, Phillips was captured when Somali pirates hijacked his ship off the Horn of Africa. The drama ended when SEAL snipers picked off three of the pirates in a lifeboat, freeing Phillips.
Actor Tom Hanks plays Phillips in the movie that opened Friday.
Part of the proceeds from Phillips' appearance will help underwrite Beth El Synagogue's Minnesota National Guard unit adoption initiative.
- Local family moves in to Habitat for Humanity home
- Women's March on Madison draws thousands to protest Trump
- UW-La Crosse students organize 'Women's March on La Crosse'
- Wisconsin Supreme Court orders John Doe documents released
- UPDATE: Officer won't be charged in Holmen shooting
- The Latest: Judge won't drop charges against ex-UW student
- Baldwin supports pair of Trump nominees
- Taste of Onalaska raises money for teachers
- Chili cook-off warms up community while raising money
- Area protester goes to joins Women's March on Washington D. C.