MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - Capt. Richard Phillips, the hijacking survivor who inspired the new movie "Captain Phillips," is coming to Minnesota to speak.
Phillips is scheduled to appear Dec. 8 at Beth El Synagogue's "Heroes Among Us" series in St. Louis Park.
In 2009, Phillips was captured when Somali pirates hijacked his ship off the Horn of Africa. The drama ended when SEAL snipers picked off three of the pirates in a lifeboat, freeing Phillips.
Actor Tom Hanks plays Phillips in the movie that opened Friday.
Part of the proceeds from Phillips' appearance will help underwrite Beth El Synagogue's Minnesota National Guard unit adoption initiative.
- Volunteers offer support for people who recently left jail
- March for Science runs through La Crosse
- Police: Stop calling about urban wild turkeys
- Study: Wisconsin will face water infrastructure problem
- Muslim teen wins right to box competitively in hijab
- Free smoke alarm campaign aims to reduce fire deaths, injuries
- WSU defense takes 2017 spring game
- News 8 Sports Round Up- April 22, 2017
- Between the Bluffs Beer, Wine and Cheese Festival draws thousands
- Community garden sees rush of Earth Day volunteers